Man kills friend in pre-dawn attack, nabbed

BUTTERWORTH: A motorcyclist died after he was rammed into and dragged by a car before being beaten up by the driver, who is said to be a friend, at Taman Dahlia, Mak Mandin here early this morning.

Seberang Prai Utara district police chief Assistant Commissioner Noorzainy Mohd Noor said the victim, Lau Weng Heng, 43, died at the scene due to severe bodily injuries in the 5.30am incident.

The case is being investigated as murder under Section 302 of the Penal Code.

“A resident had called police to report an accident case involving a motorcycle and a Proton Wira at Lorong 3 of the housing estate.

“Police rushed to the scene, and initial checks showed a black Yamaha 135LC motorcycle lying next to the victim.

“Checks on the victim found injuries to his head and body, believed to be from the beating,” he told newsmen at the scene.

Noorzainy said further checks, including from initial information from the neighbour and closed-circuit television (CCTV) camera footage, revealed the victim was riding on his motorcycle before he was rammed into by a Proton Wira, driven by a man.

“The driver then dragged the victim, along with his motorcycle, for several metres before coming to a halt after hitting a parked Perodua Myvi by the side of the road.

“The suspect then got down from his car and resorted to hitting the victim continuously, believed to be with wood. Pieces of the wood were found at the scene.

“We believe the victim did not die immediately after the accident but due to the continuously blows on him.”

Noorzainy said police then tracked down and detained the Proton Wira driver at his home in the same neighbourhood at 8.30am.

Investigation revealed both of them to be friends and unemployed.

He said the police was still probing the motive behind the 36-year-old suspect’s alleged attack. The suspect, who has a record of eight criminal and drug cases, had refused to reveal the real reason he killed his friend.

“The victim himself had a record of five criminal and drug cases. His remains have been sent to the Seberang Jaya Hospital for a post-mortem.

“We manage to solve the case within three hours and the suspect has been remanded to assist in the investigation.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *